Security forces present at the Imperial Palace Hotel in Sousse during the terrorist attack on the hotel in 2015 were accused of not assisting a person in danger under Law No. 66-48 of June 3, 1966, on failure to act.
Spokesman for the Judicial Counter-Terrorism Division, Sofiene Selliti said the investigating judge of the division has accused the security forces “of non-assistance and relief to a person in danger causing his death”.
In a statement to TAP, Sofiene Selliti stated that the investigating judge closed the investigation on July 4, 2016 and forwarded the case to the Court of Appeal, which in turn referred it to the Criminal chamber.
The date of the trial has not yet been fixed, he said.
Selliti said 33 people are charged in this case, including 14 under arrest, 12 remained free (among them the hotel security) and 7 others on the run.
Judge Nicholas Loraine-Smith, who is investigating the deaths of 30 British tourists killed in the attack, did not rule out the claim of negligence.
The British judge severely criticised the Tunisian security forces, saying that their response had been “at best shambolic and at worst cowardly”, reports Reuters.